Statement of Policy
- We recognise that discrimination is unacceptable and although equality of opportunity has been a long standing feature of our employment practices and procedure, we have made the decision to adopt a formal equal opportunities policy. Breaches of the policy will lead to disciplinary proceedings and, if appropriate, disciplinary action.
- The aim of the policy is to ensure that no student is discriminated against either directly or indirectly on the grounds of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religious belief, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or disability.
- We will ensure that the policy is circulated to any agencies responsible for our student recruitment and a copy of the policy will be made available for all students and their parents/guardians.
- The policy will be implemented in accordance with the appropriate statutory requirements and full account will be taken of all available guidance and in particular any relevant Codes of Practice.
Student/Group Recruitment & Marketing
- We will endeavour through appropriate training to ensure that employees making marketing and recruitment decisions will not discriminate, whether consciously or unconsciously, in making these decisions.
- We will adopt a consistent, non-discriminatory approach to the advertising of our courses. Prospective students are entitled to clear and accurate course information and this should be provided in an alternative format if requested (e.g. translated).
- We will not confine our advertising/marketing to areas or media sources which provide only, or mainly, student applicants of a particular group.
- All students who apply for courses with us will receive fair treatment and be recruited based on their ability and the requirements of their course irrespective of gender, ethnicity, age, disability, political or religious beliefs.
- Selection decisions will not be influenced by any perceived prejudices of other staff.
- We will maintain neutral classroom/host family environments in which no student feels under threat or intimidated. Teaching approaches and materials will reflect our commitment to this and should avoid stereotyping.
- We will provide all students with the same high level of learning experience.
- We will value all students equally and treat them with the same amount of respect and integrity.
- We recognize the fact that diversity is a key feature of the nature of our business, so all students will be treated equally.
- SUL staff will ensure that no student is victimized
- We will maintain and review the records of all students for a period of 2 years in order to monitor the progress of this policy.
- Monitoring may involve:-
- the collection and classification of information regarding the race in terms of ethnic/national origin and sex of all students.
- the examination by ethnic/national origin and sex of the distribution of students.
- The results of any monitoring procedure will be reviewed at regular intervals to assess the effectiveness of the implementation of this policy. Consideration will be given, if necessary, to adjusting this policy to afford greater equality of opportunities to all students.
- We undertake to investigate fully any claims of discrimination or discriminatory practice, whether this be from or against other students, SUL host families or any employee of SUL.
- Failure of any student, host family or employee of SUL to abide by the Equal Opportunity Policy will result in serious disciplinary action.